Frequently Asked Questions | Questions about Oregon Medical Marijuana Program |

In the State of Oregon, the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP) is managed by the Department Human Services.

The Oregon Medical Marijuana Act (OMMA) protects patients, caregivers and persons responsible for marijuana grow sites (growers) from state criminal penalties so as long as the registered card holders comply with state laws and regulations.

What are the qualifying conditions for medical marijuana?

Conditions that qualify for medical marijuana treatment include chronic pain, chronic nausea, AIDS, cancer, glaucoma, hepatitis, chronic muscle spasms and other spastic disorders, (i.e. multiple sclerosis), seizure disorders,(i.e. epilepsy), gastrointestinal disorders,(i.e. IBS, Crohn’s disease and the inability to eat), post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or patients who have medical treatments for other conditions that cause one of these conditions.

What is a ‘chronic condition’?

A chronic condition is defined by the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics as a disease that persists for three months or longer. Chronic diseases generally cannot be prevented by vaccines or cured by medication, nor do they just disappear. Eighty-eight percent of Americans over 65 years of age have at least one chronic health condition.

How much does it cost to get a medical marijuana permit?

The fees listed below are fees to be paid to the State of Oregon.

The Clinic fees are separate and can be seen in the “Rates” section

The fee for a new application with the State of Oregon is $200  and must be renewed annually. For applicants enrolled in the Oregon Health Plan (OHP) the fee is $50, Food Stamp benefits (SNAP) the fee is $60.

An individual IS NOT eligible for a reduced fee if receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), Social Security Benefits (SSB), or Medicare.

The Portland Alternative Clinic, Inc. offers our reduced price of $150.00 for any applicant with OHP, Snap Food benefits, 100% service connected disability or SSI.

Our standard fee is $180 per visit.

A $200 grow site registration fee applies if someone other than the patient is designated as the grower.

How do I stay legal?

The key is to legal medical marijuana use is to obtain the permit card required by State Law prior to having the medical marijuana or medical marijuana plants in your possession. You must have:

  • The OMMP-issued registry identification card, or
  • A copy of the written documentation submitted to the OMMP and proof of the date of mailing or other transmission of the documentation to the OMMP if the application has not yet been approved or denied. {ORS 475.309(9)}
  • Make sure to renew your car yearly before it expires!

Once I have a medical marijuana permit, how do I get the marijuana?

There are patient support groups in the state that give out or trade plants, strains and medicine. It is also legal for patients with a doctor’s authorization to obtain cannabis and plants on the black market, though the person selling it is breaking the law (they probably know that), the patient is not.

If you do not have a designated grower, you can purchase cannabis in OLCC Licensed dispensaries or OHA Licensed medical dispensaries.  In Oregon, it is allowed to give cannabis between OMMP patients, cardholders or OMMP growers.  

How much medical marijuana can I have in my possession?

● 24 ounces of dried usable medical marijuana (dried leaves and flowers of the cannabis plant and any mixture or preparation.) Seeds, stalks and roots of the plant do not count toward the 24 ounces of dried usable marijuana.

● Six mature medical marijuana plants (plants with flowers, 12 inches in height or 12 inches in diameter)

● 12 immature plants (plants with no flowers, less than 12 inches in height and less than 12 inches in diameter)

● Patients, caregivers and growers, combined, may posses up to 24 ounces, 6 mature plants and 18 seedlings.

What rules apply as I grow my legal medical marijuana?

Medical marijuana plants must be grown only at the registered grows site address.
● Growers may only be registered to grow at 1 (one) address

● Growers may only be registered to grow for 4 (four) patients

● Grow site card must be posted at the registered grow site

Things that must be avoided to comply with the law:

  • Do not deliver marijuana to any individual known to not possess an OMMP registry identification card
  • Do not engage in the medical use of marijuana in a public place, in public view or in a correctional facility
  • Do not drive under the influence of marijuana.

If I grow for someone else, can I receive money?

Patients and caregivers may reimburse the grower for the costs of supplies and utilities associated with the production of medical marijuana, but not for other costs, including labor.

What states allow medical marijuana?

1. Alaska 1 oz usable; 6 plants (3 mature, 3 immature)
2. California 8 oz usable; 18 plants (6 mature, 12 immature)**
3. Colorado 2 oz usable; 6 plants (3 mature, 3 immature)
4. DC 2 oz dried; limits on other forms to be determined
5. Hawaii 3 oz usable; 7 plants (3 mature, 4 immature)
6. Maine 2.5 oz usable; 6 plants
7. Michigan 2.5 oz usable; 12 plants
8. Montana 1 oz usable; 6 plants
9. Nevada 1 oz usable; 7 plants (3 mature, 4 immature)
10. New Jersey 2 oz usable
11. New Mexico 6 oz usable; 16 plants (4 mature, 12 immature)
12. Oregon 24 oz usable; 24 plants (6 mature, 18 immature)
13. Rhode Island 2.5 oz usable; 12 plants
14. Vermont 2 oz usable; 9 plants (2 mature, 7 immature)
15. Washington 24 oz usable; 15 plants



The Medical Marijuana Clinic in Portland Serving the Medical Marijuana Community